Mission: IAN is a nonprofit organization that inspires, empowers, and mobilizes the advocates, partners, and practitioners of afterschool and summer programs in Indiana. We believe that together schools, communities, and families can create a seamless and inspiring day of learning before, during, and after the school bell rings.
Vision: We see Indiana as a place where all K-12 youth have access to high quality learning experiences beyond the school day that prepare them for success in school, college, careers, and life.
- Build a case for Out-Of-School Time Programs to help funders and individuals understand the importance of their support.
- Provide increased program access for students. Help communities identify new opportunities, coordinate resources and expand programs.
- Create alignment and relationships between education and workforce to increase student success.
- Create stronger teams and higher quality programs by establishing standards, best practices, and evaluative tools that help measure success.
- Build a case for the importance of out-of-school time as integral to student growth and development. By doing this, we help foundations, organizations, and individuals understand the value of investing money, time, and resources in out-of-school time.
- Provide increased access to students by enlarging existing programs, developing new opportunities, and bringing more awareness to all programs.
- Nurture the alignment of education and workforce by improving communication and helping students understand their communities and the roles they play within them.
IAN began in 2001 as a grassroots effort of school districts and afterschool providers, supported by the Indiana Department of Education. By 2007, IAN had engaged diverse leaders to obtain funding from national and local foundations, corporate sponsors, and several Indiana city/county government entities.
We now have thousands of partners across the fields of education, youth development, business, government, faith-based and community organizations in Indiana and nationally. Among those we enjoy the generous support of the C.S. Mott Foundation, the Lilly Endowment, the Lumina Foundation, and many corporate supporters. IAN works closely with the Afterschool Alliance and the National Afterschool Association.