ADVOCACY ALERT: Help Stop the Elimination of Federal Funding for Afterschool
Full details and legislative contacts/ messaging HERE: http://conta.cc/2n6uIL2
ADVOCACY ALERT: Your voice matters! The Indiana Department of Education is making decisions now! Make Afterschool a Priority in Indiana’s Every Student Succeeds Plan
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires all participating states to submit a state plan for review by the US Department of Education. The Indiana Department of Education welcomes your comments and ideas related to any part of the Indiana ESSA plan components.
The Indiana Department of Education team really does read your comments as part of their plan design.
What’s most important to you?? Use your voice now to make a difference!
Here are some sample talking points from the Afterschool Alliance to make OST a priority in ESSA. You can add any of these into the supporting all students comment section. Share your comments here: http://www.doe.in.gov/essa/essa-public-comment
- List afterschool as an allowable use of funds in the state plan for Title 1
- Identify afterschool and summer programs as an intervention for schools identified for targeted support
- List afterschool as an evidence-based intervention in supporting student success. Afterschool can enhance academic and non-academic indicators, including attendance, behavior, coursework, health/wellness, STEM, and college and career readiness. Quality summer learning programs can help close the achievement gap and reduce the “summer slide.”
- Include afterschool in state and local needs assessments
- Recommend opening up some teacher trainings to community educators to expand learning beyond school hours.
- Recognize afterschool and summer programs as evidence-based supports that help provide a well-rounded supportive education for students that districts can choose
- Identify afterschool STEM programming as a strategy to provide students the hands-on engagement that develops their interests, confidence and experience in career building pathways.
- Lift up STEM as a priority along with math and literacy
MORE on Advocacy and Out-of-School Time
The Indiana Afterschool Network builds relationships with state and national legislators and public officials to advocate for out-of-school time funding and resources.
Join us in reaching out to your elected officials to rally support for your program and others around the state. Elected officials want to know what is happening with kids in their communities – your voice matters.
We have listed links in the following areas to help you have a real impact in your advocacy efforts: marketing afterschool, reaching policy makers, funding, media relations, finding your legislator.
NEW: Indiana Out-of-School Time Advocacy Toolkit
Click HERE to DOWNLOAD!
NEWSLETTER: Sign up to stay in touch about Indiana Afterschool Advocacy!
NEW! Join the IAN Advocacy Newsletter, packed with all the resources and updates you need to connect to policymakers and tell your success stories from across the state! Click HERE to join now!
INDIANA AFTERSCHOOL INFOGRAPHICS:
Click below to download graphics to send on to your local policymakers AND post on social media!
ADVOCACY RESOURCES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
- The Power of Afterschool in Indiana
The report, funded in part by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), compiles the most current data on out-of-school time offerings in Indiana and the need and impact of these programs.
- NEW: Indiana Out-of-School Time Advocacy Toolkit
All you need to know about lobbying rules for nonprofits, planning policymaker site visits, pitching to the media and using stories to deliver your message. Plus, key messages to help you clearly and consistently communicate about the promise of and demand for quality afterschool programs.
- Afterschool Alliance
The nation’s leading voice for afterschool, the Afterschool Alliance is the only organization dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of afterschool programs and advocating for more afterschool investments.
- 2014 edition of Indiana and America After 3PM
The nation’s largest household survey of how kids spend the afterschool hours compiled by the Afterschool Alliance.
- Find Your Legislator
Use this online form to locate information and contact details for your legislators.
- Campaign for Afterschool Toolkit
Election season presents an important opportunity to put afterschool on the radar of policy makers and the public in a visible and meaningful way. This toolkit will help you bring afterschool into the conversation.
- Afterschool Fostering Student Success in Indiana
2 page summary from the Afterschool Alliance including key facts about the need for afterschool in Indiana and the current state of afterschool in Indiana.
- Afterschool Works!
Fact sheet from the Afterschool Alliance on investing in afterschool
- Evaluations Backgrounder
A Summary of Formal Evaluations of Afterschool programs’ Impact on Academics, Behavior, Safety and Family Life
- 2016 Candidate Resource Guide on Afterschool
This guide serves as an overview on the essentials of afterschool, including demand for programs, public opinion, and research on outcomes and return on investment.
NATIONAL ADVOCACY DAYS
Summer Learning Day
Summer Learning Day is an annual national advocacy day led by the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) to elevate the importance of keeping kids learning, safe and healthy every summer. Learn more, host/find an event, pledge to #KeepKidsLearning and more, HERE.
LIGHTS ON AFTERSCHOOL
Join the nationwide celebration of afterschool every October. Thousands of afterschool programs find ways of highlighting the important role of afterschool programs in the lives of children, families and communities. To register, receive promotional materials and participate contact the Afterschool Alliance.
RESEARCH and OTHER RESOURCES
- Afterschool Programs: A Wise Public Investment PDF
- A User’s Guide to Advocacy Evaluation Planning PDF
- RAISE EVERY VOICE: Strategic Communications & Progressive Change Making PDF
- EXTENDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES – A Policy Statement of the Council of Chief State School Officers PDF
- The Cost of Quality Out-of-School-Time Programs PDF
- Looking at the Data: Afterschool Programs Using Data to Better Serve Students (August 2014) LINK