On Advocacy and Out-of-School Time
The Indiana Afterschool Network builds relationships with state and national legislators and public officials to advocate for out-of-school time funding and resources.
Join us in reaching out to your elected officials to rally support for your program and others around the state. Elected officials want to know what is happening with kids in their communities – your voice matters.
We have listed links in the following areas to help you have a real impact in your advocacy efforts: marketing afterschool, reaching policy makers, funding, media relations, finding your legislator.
NEWSLETTER: Sign up to stay in touch about Indiana Afterschool Advocacy!
Join the IAN Advocacy Newsletter, packed with all the resources and updates you need to connect to policymakers and tell your success stories from across the state! Click HERE to join now!
INDIANA AFTERSCHOOL INFOGRAPHICS:
Click below to download graphics to send on to your local policymakers AND post on social media!
ADVOCACY RESOURCES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
ESSENTIAL TOOLS TO ADVOCATE: Indiana Out-of-School Time Advocacy Toolkit
All you need to know about lobbying rules for nonprofits, planning policymaker site visits, pitching to the media and using stories to deliver your message. Plus, key messages to help you clearly and consistently communicate about the promise of and demand for quality afterschool programs. Click HERE to DOWNLOAD!
2018 Indiana Out-of-School Time (OST) Learning Advisory Board ReportIn the summer of 2018, the Indiana Out-of-School Time (OST) Learning Advisory Board worked collaboratively to create a comprehensive report to the Indiana General Assembly and the Indiana Department of Education. Key content of the report addresses OST Programs’ Role in Helping to Advance Key Indiana State Priorities:• Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM)• College and Career Readiness• Workforce and 21st Century Skill Development• Youth Health and Safety• And, includes direct connections to the NEW Indiana STEM Six-Year Strategic Plan, developed by the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) with the guidance of the Indiana STEM Advisory CouncilContent of the report also includes: A detailed look at the current OST offerings in Indiana, benefits and impact of OST programs and the need for OST programs in Indiana.
INDIANA STEM and OST WHITE PAPER
The Indiana OST community is ready to expand its STEM programming and to work collaboratively with their school partners. Read more about the Indiana STEM OST landscape in this white paper from the Indiana Afterschool Network including :
– How Indiana has been a national leader in out-of-school STEM education
– How the Indiana Afterschool Network is leading the effort toward greater integration of in-school/out-of-school STEM education
– How quality STEM education has been a major focus in the Indiana out-of-school community
- Indiana 21st Century Community Learning Centers 2014-2015 Snapshot Report
Report containing impact of Indiana 21 CCLC programs, including the following and more:
– 80% of program participants improved in “Turning in Homework on Time”
– 80% of program participants improved in “Completing Homework to Teacher’s Satisfaction”
– 74% of program participants improved in “Coming to School Motivated to Learn”
DOWNLOAD HERE: 2014-15 Snapshot 3-8-16
- The Power of Afterschool in Indiana
The report, funded in part by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), compiles the most current data on out-of-school time offerings in Indiana and the need and impact of these programs.
- Afterschool Alliance
The nation’s leading voice for afterschool, the Afterschool Alliance is the only organization dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of afterschool programs and advocating for more afterschool investments.
- 2014 edition of Indiana and America After 3PM
The nation’s largest household survey of how kids spend the afterschool hours compiled by the Afterschool Alliance.
- Find Your Legislator
Use this online form to locate information and contact details for your legislators.
- Campaign for Afterschool Toolkit
Election season presents an important opportunity to put afterschool on the radar of policy makers and the public in a visible and meaningful way. This toolkit will help you bring afterschool into the conversation.
- Afterschool Fostering Student Success in Indiana
2 page summary from the Afterschool Alliance including key facts about the need for afterschool in Indiana and the current state of afterschool in Indiana.
- Afterschool Works!
Fact sheet from the Afterschool Alliance on investing in afterschool
- Evaluations Backgrounder
A Summary of Formal Evaluations of Afterschool programs’ Impact on Academics, Behavior, Safety and Family Life
- 2016 Candidate Resource Guide on Afterschool
This guide serves as an overview on the essentials of afterschool, including demand for programs, public opinion, and research on outcomes and return on investment.
NATIONAL ADVOCACY DAYS
Summer Learning Day
Summer Learning Day is an annual national advocacy day led by the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) to elevate the importance of keeping kids learning, safe and healthy every summer. Learn more, host/find an event, pledge to #KeepKidsLearning and more, HERE.
LIGHTS ON AFTERSCHOOL
Join the nationwide celebration of afterschool every October. Thousands of afterschool programs find ways of highlighting the important role of afterschool programs in the lives of children, families and communities. To register, receive promotional materials and participate contact the Afterschool Alliance.
RESEARCH and OTHER RESOURCES
- Afterschool Programs: A Wise Public Investment PDF
- A User’s Guide to Advocacy Evaluation Planning PDF
- RAISE EVERY VOICE: Strategic Communications & Progressive Change Making PDF
- EXTENDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES – A Policy Statement of the Council of Chief State School Officers PDF
- The Cost of Quality Out-of-School-Time Programs PDF
- Looking at the Data: Afterschool Programs Using Data to Better Serve Students (August 2014) LINK