Education & Workforce
STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
The fastest growing jobs in the U.S. require STEM skills. Indiana’s elementary school students receive only two hours per week of science. An afterschool program offering STEM one day per week doubles the STEM learning hours for a student. Excitement about STEM subjects by the 9th grade is a better predictor of obtaining STEM careers than grades.
IAN’s Indiana Afterschool STEM Initiative is highlighted in this national research study:
Full Report– http://www.noycefdn.org/documents/STEM_ECOSYSTEMS_REPORT_140128.pdf
Executive Summary – http://www.noycefdn.org/documents/STEM_ECOSYSTEMS_REPORT_EXECSUM_140128.pdf
The following resources can help get kids excited about STEM and a future in technology careers:
1) The Indiana STEM Standards outline specific steps and best practices for programs based on national research. These standards were created by experts in education, youth development, and business.
You can also track your program’s STEM activity progress using the Indiana Quality Program Self-Assessment.
2) Search for Indiana out-of-school time programs that offer STEM or enter your information into our online mapping database.
3) Sign up for our e-newsletter and get the latest grants and best practices in STEM .
4) See the Indiana Afterschool STEM Plan (Indiana Afterschool STEM Plan 2015-16).
5) Research in STEM
- WHITE PAPER (2018) Changing the Game in STEM with Family Engagement: A White Paper for Practitioners and Field Leaders to Empower Families in STEM
- Change Equation – Indiana Vital Signs 2013
- Dimensions of Success: DoS Brochure for Indiana
- Defining Youth Outcomes for STEM Learning in Afterschool PDF
- How Cross-Sector Collaborations are Advancing STEM Learning – Full Report – http://www.noycefdn.org/documents/STEM_ECOSYSTEMS_REPORT_140128.pdf
- How Cross-Sector Collaborations are Advancing STEM Learning – Executive Summary – http://www.noycefdn.org/documents/STEM_ECOSYSTEMS_REPORT_EXECSUM_140128.pdf
- Examining the impact of afterschool STEM programs- A paper commissioned by the Noyce Foundation http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/ExaminingtheImpactofAfterschoolSTEMPrograms.pdf
Making the Case for STEM Afterschool- http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/Making-the-Case-STEM-Afterschool.pdf
6) STEM Curricula and Best Practices:
- Know Your Funders: A Guide to STEM Funding for Afterschool PDF
- The Do-It-Yourself Guide to STEM Community Engagement PDF
- DESIGN PRINCIPLES 3.0 For Effective STEM Philanthropy PDF
- Multiple STEM Publications created by the Afterschool Alliance and a large collection of external publications. http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/STEM-PUBLICATIONS.cfm