Mission: We mobilize people, organizations, and communities to connect afterschool and summer programs with the support they need to creative positive youth outcomes for inspiring futures.
Vision: Indiana is a place where all K-12 children and youth have access to high-quality learning opportunities beyond the school day that prepare them for success in education, careers, and life.
2017-2019 Strategic Initiatives
Reaching more Indiana kids with quality afterschool and summer programs
• Innovative Partnerships – Mobile people, organizations, and systems
• Greater Investments – Move policy and cultivate champions
• Program Quality – Strengthen programs and staff
• Capacity and Culture – Build up IAN
• Build a case for out-of-school time programs to help funders and individuals understand the
importance of their support.
• Provide increased program access for students. Help communities identify new opportunities,
coordinate resources, and expand programs.
• Create alignment and relationships between education and workforce to increase student
• Create stronger teams and higher quality programs by establishing standards, best practices,
and evaluative tools that help measure success.
• Build a case for the importance of out-of-school time as integral to student growth and
development. By doing this, we help foundations, organizations, and individuals understand
the value of investing money, time, and resources in out-of-school time.
• Provide increased access to students by enlarging existing programs, developing new
opportunities, and bringing more awareness to all programs.
• Nurture the alignment of education and workforce by improving communication and helping
students understand their communities and the roles they play within them.
IAN began in 2001 as a grassroots effort among school districts and afterschool providers, supported by the Indiana Department of Education. By 2007, IAN had engaged diverse leaders to obtain funding from national and local foundations, corporate sponsors, and several Indiana city/county government entities.
We now have thousands of partners across the fields of education, youth development, business, government, faith-based and community organizations in Indiana and nationally. Among those we enjoy the generous support of the C.S. Mott Foundation, the Lilly Endowment, the Lumina Foundation, and many corporate supporters. IAN works closely with the Afterschool Alliance and the National Afterschool Association.